This article is about Healthy Lunch Ideas to Feed Your Kids!
The great thing about either of these healthy lunch ideas "Feta Chicken Roll Ups" (that I described in another article) and this recipe "Tuna or Salmon Salad" is that you can make them ahead of time and store them, covered, in the refrigerator for several days. Try using any left-overs as a tasty tortilla wrap filling.
People have loved this Tuna / Salmon Salad and it has been rated 4.2 out of 5 stars (based on 158 reviews).
What you need to make your salad …
- 2-6 ounce cans of light tuna or canned salmon, drained
- 1-15 ounce can of small white beans such as cannellini or great northern, rinsed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Te teaspoon of salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
How to make it …
This is so, so simple! Just combine the tuna or salmon with whichever other salad vegetables you have plus beans, tomatoes, scallions, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Stir the mixture gently. Then just refrigerate until ready to serve.
How easy was that! This healthy meal is low in calories, fat, carbohydrates and high in fiber.
The nutritional benefits for your kids are:
- Tuna is an excellent source of protein. It is also a great source of the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, protein, potassium, selenium, and vitamin B12. Tuna is also a very good source of niacin and phosphorus.
- Salmon is again, an excellent source of protein and is packed with omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Omega – 3s protect and maintain the heart. They also prevent and treat depression, lower blood pressure, improve memory, reduce inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and aid healthier skin and nails.
- Cherry tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A which is good for healthy vision and your immune system. It's also high in vitamin C, also good for your immune system and lycopene, which is a powerful anti-oxidant that promotes prostate health.
This dish is so easy to make and I guarantee your kids will love this recipe and my many other healthy lunch ideas .